Drawings and Graphics



I have always been a draftsperson but never a "picture a day" kinda gal. I know some people who sketch and sketch and sketch. I get whiny when my hand gets tired. Despite this I have embarked on some "shadow drawings" that keep my mind precoccupied. They are simply light studies with materials like pencil, conte crayon, and packing tape. I plan to use these techniques in a larger scale with the canvas projects. There is a scene in my bathroom that happens every morning where the light comes in the four window panes (two windows each with a upper and lower half). The shadows of the frost on the panes creates a spotted pattern on the flat window shades, oftentimes in large streaks, like mountains. As the frost melts water shadows trickle down the shades. There are two old-fashioned locks on the windows. The kind that swing back and forth. These two locks' shadows look like small men bent over, praying. They cry water droplets down the surface of the mountains. Pictures to come.
Also included are some other sketches and illustrations. The first is one of a series I did copying pictures out of "Designs On The Land", aerial landscape photographs by Alex S. MacLean. This book is beautiful and I highly recommend it for those parking-lot-farm-grid-nuclear-sunset fanatics out there. These images have really helped me in thinking about the organic parking lot structures. The second illustration is also of a similar kind of concept-pavement-although the original picture was a photgraph I took, which will soon be on view once I get my photos up here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home