Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The Canvases, or, My House as A Gallery













This project consists of dozens of large canvases stretched within the interior of my home creating "false walls". In it's complete phase the canvases or walls will create new rooms within the preexisting rooms. On the canvases is imagery relating to my psycho-emotional relationship to the house. Making work inside an old home all by myself (a new experience for me) I've begun to build a relationship with the space that is personal, emotional, contemplative and at times, antagonistic.

This differs greatly from previous work I've done with space relationships in that instead of locating distant spaces and trying to find some semblance of location, I am starting with a space that is imbued with location and history. Built in the 1850's our New England home has an intense personal history well documented in the town offices down the street. This is so different from the suburban concrete geometries I'm used to photographing!

Because of this intensely personal relationship I'm developing with the house space I have decided to bring that personal element to a universal level, rather than the other way around. When the house is done I will have created a space that showcases my own psychology as it relates to my home space. This psychological imagery will be open for the public to enter, peer into, investigate, and navigate through. This "ghost" space will privelege outsiders witha view into the interior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home